Its been really hot today around 42 deg (106) so I don't venture too far from home in case of bush fires and the studio was the place to be.
A week ago today I bought my Sweet 16 sewing machine... and although its assembled I had to work on a special quilt so I haven't used it yet....but I'm going to quilt this quilt on it so there's nothing like going in cold turkey... no practice just do it.
This quilt is for the Guild raffle... and even though its for the guild is still has to reflect a piece of me...
The images are from a sketch made in the market in St Thomas or some place we visited in the Caribbean.
I've been preparing for the next Caribbean trip in March so its been on my mind and I thought well 'lets do it'
I want this to look like a painting... it means choosing fabrics I can illustrate on.
I wasn't sure if it would work.
The entire surface of the quilt is applique... not pockets of applique, but the entire backing piece is covered by images and they build on each other... the images in the background are smaller, in the foreground they are larger.
I began at the top... the pieces in the background and worked down.
I was creating each person separately and then putting them down on the base fabric but it got a little confusing.
In the end I numbered each of the people... and I completed each person by preparing the image on fusible web and putting them in numbered baggies... ready to add the fabric to them, just like I do for the Bayeux.
However, if you look at the top in this photo its quite flat in appearance and a little confusing. However, I knew the drapplique would change it dramatically.
If you look at the bunch of bananas, you can see the dramatic change after the drapplique.
Not sure how I will applique it. Originally I was going to quilt sketch it... in black thread but now I think I'm going to do it another way.
I have about an hour till I finish the illustration, but my neck is stiff from standing in one place for hours as I drew so that will have to wait till the morning.